If you're a fan of coffee and swiss rolls, you're in for a treat! In this post, we'll show you how to make a delicious coffee swiss roll at home. Not only is this dessert easy to make, it's also a great way to impress your friends and family. So let's get started!
What is a Swiss Roll?
A swiss roll, also known as a jelly roll, is a type of sponge cake that is filled with whipped cream, jam, or icing. It gets its name from the traditional Swiss cake, which is a thin sponge cake that is rolled up with a filling.
Swiss rolls are a popular dessert all around the world, and they come in a variety of flavors. Some common flavors include chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. But today, we're going to be making a coffee-flavored swiss roll.
Before we proceed we'd advise for the 1/4 cup of coffee you check out our selection of Flavoured Coffee's to help with the flavour. We found that the Vanilla Coffee & Chocolate Praline Coffee go best with this recipe.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to make Coffee Swiss Roll:
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 tsp finely chopped vanilla extract
- 75g plain flour
- 1/4 cup of coffee
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 100g icing sugar
- 300ml double cream
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (180°C fan) and line a Swiss Roll tin with a piece of baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with 75g of caster sugar until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of caster sugar until peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and fold in gently.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared Swiss Roll tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the sponge is set and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the sponge from the oven and gently unroll it while still warm.
- In a bowl, mix together the coffee, boiling water, icing sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- Spread the coffee mixture over the sponge, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Spread the whipped cream over the coffee mixture.
- Roll up the sponge from one of the shorter sides, using the parchment to help and gently knock out any air.
- Place the roll onto a serving plate seam side down and sprinkle liberally with additional caster sugar.
- Score a line to form a swirl and serve your delicious Coffee Swiss Roll.